It is a global trend to visit the best places in the world forgetting the agencies and organized tours, and if this is the way you chose to travel, it will be very important that you know how to get to Machu Picchu. There are 3 ways to get to Machu Picchu: through the Inca Trail, with the long route through Hydroelectric and by train. If you are not one of the people who enjoy outdoor hiking, you should choose the train ride. The train from Cusco to Machu Picchu is a beautiful journey through the Sacred Valley of the Incas to Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu village), at the foot of the Wonder of the World.
How to get from Cusco to Machu Picchu?
The train from Cusco to Machu Picchu is an incredible experience, the route through the Sacred Valley of the Incas is considered one of the most amazing short train journeys in the world, but if you want to do it on your own, the first thing you should do is get the Machu Picchu tickets.
Book train tickets
If you have already purchased the Machu Picchu tickets and have little time before the day of your visit, book the train tickets. What's more, we recommend booking them immediately after knowing the day you will enter Machu Picchu, many of the services usually run out weeks before.
Peru Rail or Inca Rail - Which one to choose to travel by train to Machu Picchu?
There are two companies with authorization to travel the train from Cusco to Machu Picchu, and vice versa.
Both train companies have adequate services for tourists. Below we detail what each of them includes.
Peru Rail is the oldest company, authorized to operate the Machu Picchu route, it has different services. His website is www.perurail.com.
- Vistadome: It is a train with wide wagons, with panoramic windows in the roof and the sides that will allow you to take photographs of the entire route through the valley.
- Expedition: The Expedition has wagons totally covered by panoramic windows and service on board, snacks and Peruvian food.
- Sacred Valley: This train links Urubamba with Machu Picchu on a luxurious journey through the beautiful landscapes of the Sacred Valley of the Incas. Includes lunch (or dinner) in the observatory car or the dining car.
- Belmond Hiram Bingham: It is one of the most luxurious trains in the world, exclusive and with service on board. It has 4 choches, dining car, car bar, gourmet dinner, transportation and tickets to Machu Picchu.
Inca Rail is a Peruvian company that offers rail transportation services from Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu. Its website is www.incarail.com.
- The Voyager: The cars have comfortable seats, folding tables and panoramic windows. Set with Latin American music. There is on-board service and a selection of drinks made with Andean fruits and herbs.
- The 360º: They have large panoramic windows, set with Latin American music, on-board service, with a selection of hot and cold beverages, as well as selling handcrafted products on board.
- The First Class: It has ambient music, natural flowers and covered tables. You will be served a welcome cocktail, lunch and / or gourmet dinner. Serves only in high tourist season (from April to October) and special dates.
- The Private: With capacity for 8 people. The car, known as the 'Princess Inca' is of the presidential class. The car has many details in its decoration, food on board, free bar. This train operates only by request.
Where to board the train from Cusco to Machu Picchu?
There are 3 boarding stations for the train from Cusco to Machu Picchu.
- Ollantaytambo station: Av. Ferrocarril s / n, Ollantaytambo, Sacred Valley (Cusco).
- Poroy Station: Roldan Street s / n, District of Poroy, Cusco.
- Urubamba station: Av. Ferrocarril s / n, Urubamba, Sacred Valley (Cusco).
How long does it take to travel by train from Cusco to Machu Picchu?
The duration of the train trip (one way) depends on the station where the train is approached:
- From Poroy station (Cusco): The trip takes 3 hours and 15 minutes approximately.
- From the Urubamba station: The trip lasts 2 hours and 30 minutes, approximately.
- From the Ollantaytambo station: The trip lasts a little less than 2 hours.
How is the train trip from Cusco to Machu Picchu?
The distance from Poroy station (Cusco) to Aguas Calientes is approximately 65.8 kilometers. The route crosses the beautiful landscapes of the Sacred Valley of the Incas. The train trip from Cusco to Machu Picchu takes 3 hours and 15 minutes approximately.
The distance from Urubamba to Aguas Calientes is 47.6 kilometers. The route is parallel to the Vilcanota River and the mountains. The trip lasts 2 hours and 30 minutes, approximately.
The distance from the Ollantaytambo station to Aguas Calientes is approximately 30.5 kilometers. The train from Cusco to Machu Picchu runs through the beautiful and green Sacred Valley of the Incas along the banks of the Urubamba River. The trip lasts a little less than 2 hours.
Conditions to board the train from Cusco to Machu Picchu
You must follow the following instructions to board the train from Cusco to Machu Picchu without complications:
- When boarding the train, you must show your travel ticket and your identity document or passport.
- The railway company will check your ticket before and during the trip.
- If you can not prove that you own the ticket, you will be prevented from boarding the train, with no option to claim.
- They will not let you board the train if your health condition is delicate. So also women in a state of gestation greater than or equal to seven months.
- They will prevent you from boarding the train if you are in an obvious state of drunkenness or under the influence of other substances.
- Young children must be accompanied by their parents or legal guardians.