Only 3,000 people are allowed to enter Machu Picchu each day. The government website lists how many tickets are available for each day. Also, if you would like to climb the Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain, you must book the ticket in advance and there is an additional fee to hike to the mountains. There is a limit of only 400 permits for climbing Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu mountain and only 200 people are permitted to enter for each of the 2 sessions scheduled for 7am and 10 am. The guide will organise the tour of Machu Picchu to climb to the mountains depending on how many in the group have permits
What is the difference between Huayna Picchu and Machu Picchu Mountain?
Huayna Picchu (Wayna Picchu) and Machu Picchu Mountain are two mountains situated just above the antique city of Machu Picchu and they both serve to take some panoramic photos of Machu Picchu. Each mountain entrance has to be booked ONLY TOGETHER with Machu Picchu entrance!! The booking needs to be done enough time in advance as there is a limited number of spaces a day (400 permits per Huayna Picchu and 400 permits per Machu Picchu Mountain as well)
Huayna Picchu Mountain
Altitude: 2400 m / 7874 ft
Walking: 1 hr 45 min (up or down)
View from Huayna Picchu: Machu Picchu citadel and Vilcanota River and Putucusi Mountain.
Machu Picchu Mountain
Altitude: 3200 m / 10499 ft
Walking: 3 hrs (up and down)
View from Machu Picchu Mountain: Machu Picchu Citadel, Vilcanota River, Salkantay Mountain, Llactapata ruins (with binoculares), Putucusi Mountain, Santa Teresa town, Hydroelectric, a part of the Inca Trail and Inti Punko (Sun door).
How much are Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain?
- If you are doing only Machu Picchu tour or alternative hike to the Inca Trail. The Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain is for an extra cost of USD 25 dollars. Because you can book Machu Picchu + Mountain.
- In case you are doing the Inca Trail. The Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain are for extra cost of U$ 85 dollars. On the Inca Trail, it is only included the entrance fee to Inca Trail + Machu Picchu. but if you want to climb up to the mountains, you need to book other entrance fee to Machu Picchu + Mountain.
How can I book the Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain?
- Contact our sales department to check about availability of your Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain.
- if there are spots available, our sales department will confirm your book.
- To be able to complete your booking, we will need your personal details as the following: Full name, gender, passport number, date of the passport expiration, date of birth and nationality
Your Tour Guide always organises a Machu Picchu guided tour to allow enough time to enter either Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain
Please note that your entrance ticket to Machu Picchu and Huayna Picchu/Machu Picchu Mountain always displays your name and passport details so it is NOT TRANSFERABLE to another person and NOT REFUNDABLE either. Last minute bookings of this trek will possibly miss out on permits in high season so please book and pay in advance.
Practical information - Mountain tips Machu Picchu
When to go?
- The best season is to do it in the dry season, which covers the months April to the end of September. In October the rains begin and you can find Machu Picchu covered by clouds.
- They are organized into two groups with two different schedules. The first group can enter between 7:00 and 8:00 and the second between 10:00 to 11:00, being able to enter either group. A maximum of 400 people / day is allowed and the last person to get off the summit must do so before 14:00.
Where to eat?
- Before you get to the top. Up there is prohibited to eat, but during the trip there are numerous viewpoints that will serve as a resting point and ideal place to have a snack.
What to bring?
- There are people that seems to reduce the effects of altitude sickness or even chewing coca leaves that you can buy in any market. There are people who also carry Sorojchi Pills, much more expensive but more effective than coca leaves.